Thursday, November 20, 2014

Family Finds

The Mrs. and I have been doing family research (genealogy) since the 70's I think... we were inspired to begin back when "Roots" was shown on TV.  And it's been a journey ever since.  Granted I'm not digging every single day or week on things, but it's always in the back of my mind somewhere.  These past two years, along with digging up the old dead people's stories, I realized--after one of my family reunions--that I knew more about those "old" generations of people than I did my 1st and 2nd cousins living today!  What does THAT say about all of us?  ('Cause I'm sure you're just as bad as me on that.)  Anyway, I grew up very close to my Mom's family, and I've been filling in those blanks all of the last year or so.  THIS year I vowed to get to know more of my Dad's family.  For some reason we were never really "close" to them... I knew his brothers names, and some of his sisters, and remember meeting most of them at least once in my life, but that's about it.  Never knew but a handful of cousins.  So my point to all of this, is once I start making those new acquaintances, all of a sudden new things start coming out.  And new PICTURES start showing up for me to copy and share.  Like this rare find of one of my uncles (my Dad's brother) and supposedly his son.  I never knew he even had a son!!  So there!   That's what I'm talking about.  I find that the more I discover, the more I want to keep digging.  Not that I'm expecting to find any skeleton's in anybody's closet (or wanting to).   I just think it's fascinating stuff!  Sure does make me wish I had really TALKED to them back when I had the chance.  Especially my grandparents.  And what better way is there to spend a cold wintery day?